‘Alee (ra) Said, “From The Rights Of The Scholar Over You Are…”
‘Alee Ibn Abee Taalib said:
“From the rights of the scholar over you are:
– Give the salaams to the generalpopulas and specifying them (i.e. the scholar) by greeting them particularly.
– Sit in front of him.
– Do not point at him with your hand.
– Do not cut your eyes at them.
– Do not say that so and so opposes your statement.
– Do not backbite anyone in front of him.
– Do not walk through his sitting.
– Do not grab him by his garment.
– Do not pester him if he is tired.
– And do not turn away from his companionship.
He is like the date palm and you are waiting for something to befall you. The believing scholar has a greater reward than the warrior in the Cause of Allaah. When the scholar dies, a void is created in Islaam that will not be filled until the Day of Resurrection.”
[Al-Jaami Li Akhlaaq Ar-Raawee Wa Aadaab As-Saami’, 1/199]